Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tequila Bookworm

This place won't be around much longer but I figured I might as well write about it anyway. It's current location (moved recently, I believe) is on the north side of Queen Street West, between Spadina and Bathurst, across from the burned out hole in the ground that was the huge fire of last winter.

Now, Tequila Bookworm is cute, eclectic, eccentric, comfortable. Please don't go there if you have a stick up your butt. I have eaten there once before and decided to repeat my usual brunch standby: smoked salmon and a bagel. I don't know where they get their salmon but wow is it ever good. It's plump and fresh and pink and tasty. And not overpriced like Eggspectations (although I will continue to eat there, I guess). The Montreal bagel was a treat too, not overtoasted and the cream cheese was perfectly chilled. Plus, my plate wasn't smothered with red onions and capers; they came in a tidy little pile, looking like sophisticated, understated garnish. Seriously, really good salmon.

I have to confess though, the service... well, like I said, don't go there if you're uptight. Our waiter forgot my coffee and had to be reminded. And my water glass had a short, dark (straight!) hair on the rim and smelled overwhemingly of bleach. In their defense, the other waiter brought me a very clean glass of water with a straw and lemon wedge when I asked for a new glass of water because the old one smelled "bleachy". Also, loads of plugs for laptops. Some in unexpected places!

No comments: