Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lola's Commissary, 634 Church Street

Last Sunday, before heading to the One of A Kind Show, I had brunch with some friends at Lola's Commissary at Church just south of Bloor (Hayden). It was my first time so I decided to check out the brunch menu ahead of time to make sure there were at least a couple of options for me. I phoned to ask whether the multigrain waffles were egg-free (they aren't) and talked to the owner/chef, Therese.

Since I phoned ahead, she suggested vegan French toast. Now, I haven't had French toast in maybe 20 years and I really miss it. When she said that she could do it, I was so thrilled and excited that she had agreed to accommodate my allergy. Therese said she had a background in nutrition so I figured that she must know what she's talking about.

Turns out, she does. Absolutely. She made the French toast with vanilla and tofu and served it with a compote of strawberries, rhubarb and beets (okay, not crazy about those) and bananas. The toast was amazing, not too sweet and very much like the French toast I remember. Except, perhaps less sweet than my mother used to make - this is a good thing! The compote was tangy and the bananas balanced it all out perfectly. And, if you love coffee, the decaf soy latte was so good I almost had another. It was definitely a brunch to remember!

I would love to phone her and talk to her some more about vegan breakfast foods. Perhaps she has some other tasty treats up her sleeve?

http://www.lolascommissary.com/

No comments: