Sunday, March 29, 2009

Niche, 626 Queen Street West, Toronto

On Saturday afternoon, I had lunch with a high school friend who recommended Niche on Queen West. Other than very high bucket-style bar stools which were impossible to navigate in a lady-like fashion, the place did not disappoint.

We both ordered the 16 0z masala chai lattes and they were gooood. My friend had the Niche Benedict (eggs benedict on cornbread with peameal) and I had the smoked salmon on a bagel. My meal came with a salad which was yummy, if a bit overdressed. The salmon was fresh and the cream cheese wasn't overdone, as it is in so many places. My friend at her entire portion of eggs so it must have been good because she rarely does that. The place is small but we weren't rushed. And the waitress was new which, combined with the busyness, meant things took a bit longer than they should have. But we weren't in a hurry and she was very helpful with our questions.

All of their coffees are available in decaf and they have a good selection. They also offer skim milk and soy milk. Finally, I brought home a cranberry chocolate scone which was to die for. I ate it plain, that's how good it was.

The total bill was less than $40 for both of us, with my scone to go. Single bathroom but it was clean. I will be going back, hopefully soon.

No comments: