Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fresh - Good old standby, visit number 5 (I think)

I have been to Fresh a number of times before. They have three locations in Toronto, of which I have been to the ones on Bloor and on Spadina. Although the place started as a juice bar, I have never been disappointed with the food. I have tried the yam fries, the Baby Buddha, the Baby Warrior and the black bean burrito.

It's all vegetarian and they are really great about accommodating food allergies. None of the staff give you attitude if you have questions about ingredients and you can substitute out dairy and soy and gluten. One of the things that I love is the 1 L carafe of water with lemon slices which automatically appears when you sit down at every table.

Last weekend, I went for lunch with a vegetarian friend and we both enjoyed our meal. To be honest, I don't remember what she ordered. I had the egg-free banana pancakes. I haven't eaten pancakes for years and I was so very happy to be able to eat them at Fresh. I ordered the kids portion (2 pancakes) but my order arrived with three. I didn't say anything to the waitress but she realized her error and corrected the bill. She didn't bat an eyelid when I said I wanted to take them home. (I don't have maple syrup at home so I ate them the next day with Nutella and oh they were so good fresh out of the toaster oven). And their take out containers are biodegradable! I also ordered the decaf latte with soy milk and it was excellent. The entire meal made me feel very happy.

I always leave feeling full and wishing I could sample more of the menu in one sitting. In fact, I know what I'm having next time I go back.

Caveats: the place is always busy and it's not where you want to go if you want a quiet, romantic ambiance. Also, I always spend the afternoon feeling a bit gassy, which is only to be expected if you substitute meat protein for beans! Lunch for two was less than $40 after taxes. Don't linger, there is always a line up of hungry people waiting for your spot.

2 comments:

Madhuram said...

Hi M, we moved to Ontario last month, so it's nice to get some first hand information/review of local restaurants.

Darling Jee said...

Welcome! If you're vegan, there's a place in Kensington Market (Toronto) that makes light, healthy vegan food. It's called Hibiscus. Where in Ontario are you?