Sunday, January 15, 2017

Ritzy Tea

Good grief! Have we really not been out for tea since 2009?? Yikes. I guess that's what happens when half the group is busy parenting vast hordes of children (vast hordes to a spinster = 1 or more). I think we've had some afternoon teas at home with the husbands and kids since then but none of our memories are what they used to be so don't ask me when and how many.

This afternoon, we all gathered again at the Ritz-Carlton for afternoon tea at noon. The usual funs were had but spoiler alert: I am leaning towards not returning.

Of course, the hotel is beautiful and the tea aesthetic was similarly spectacular. A lit tea box with comprehensive descriptions, Le Creuset teapots to keep the tea hot and the food itself was beautiful.

lit sloane tea box toronto
Photo credit: M. Kim

The tea itself is from Sloane Tea in Toronto. I stuck with my old pal, the Darjeeling, and was not disappointed. However, the other teas were just okay. We had the Heavenly Cream, Oolong and Earl Grey. I didn't see the advertised Spa My Blend by Clarins anywhere on the list.

le creuset stoneware teapot

I'm adding one of these Le Creuset puppies to my weight lifting programme Amazon wish list. I suspect the 22-oz size (2 oz more than a Starbucks venti) is sufficient for a spinster.

The sandwiches on the "wellness" tea menu are listed as:
Furikake Crusted Itsumo Tuna: Avocado, Pickled Daikon Relish, Togarashi Mayonnaise, Sesame Brioche Roll
Ham & Cheese: Aged cheddar, ham, parsley butter, multigrain bread
Sumac Eggplant Mini Pita; Hummus, Grilled Halloumi, Mint, Flash Pickled Cucumber
Smoked Turkey: Aged cheddar, cranberry relish, whole wheat wrap
Mushroom and Asiago Quiche


And the desserts include: 
Chocolate and sundried fruit mendiants
Apple, cranberry and oatmeal crisp
Coconut milk, chia seed pudding
Organic whole wheat, carrot and orange cup cakes
Battenberg 
Freshly Baked Raisin Scones

With preserves and Devon cream, naturally. 

desserts and scones
Photo credit: M. Kim

I had similar sandwiches which accommodated my dietary restrictions but my desserts were a bit different. The coconut milk chia seed pudding and apple cranberry oatmeal crisp are worth trying to repeat at home.


So let me tell you what lost them points:

1. Slow service. We waited to order our tea. We waited for sandwiches. We waited to have both hot water and cold refilled. We waited to pay our bills. Lots of waiting. The staff could have been more attentive. Maybe they weren't because they knew their tip would be automatically added to the bill?

2. Small portions. I mean, I get this is haute cuisine but I'm used to feeling full after tea. Maybe "wellness" is Ritz secret code for starving yourself post-holidays.

3. Although they did a wonderful job of accommodating my dietary restrictions (eggs and dairy), they didn't actually call me back in response to the voice mail I left earlier in the week. Had we been able to have a conversation, I could have told them that I can eat butter and perhaps have tasted a scone. Apparently they were good.

So, for the price point of $44 for afternoon tea at the Ritz Carlton, I don't feel my expectations were met. I can't recommend it unless the venue and the tea are more important to you than responsive service and feeling satiated.

Ladies, did I miss anything?


No comments: